Reflective journal in June
20150102
Jungeun KIM
The research aim was identifying cause of falls for female elderly and
developing functional wear to reduce fall risk, and last semester, I thought,
my research goal would be protecting hip fracture, and I made a prototype to
protect hip fracture, but I needed to extend my thinking space, and I’m trying
to extend even now, but still I’m stuck in a hip fracture.
In June, I spent a time organizing research data by open coding and doing
a couple of research, overall, I did lots of things in last semester but those
things are complex to determine final concept and so it is very difficult to
find proof, before this semester, I thought, I’m almost done in my research
work, and I was quiet pleased by that, and then naturally, I thought, I can
start ideation using data analysis, but ideation isn’t so easy as I’d think, I
couldn’t figure out why ideation didn’t go on smoothly, since then I lost the
self-confidence I once had, and then, In the class, I learnt the new way to
organize my research data by coding, I hope coding can get me out of a slump.
So I started the coding, of course, I went through many trials and errors,
such as I was unfamiliar with program which can do coding in computer, so I
spent a lot of time learning a program, but after I realized it wasn’t big
deal, the real big deal was I disliked the whole my research results from start
to finish, that feeling was I never felt before the coding.
When I did open coding, firstly, I organized data what I’ve done step by
step from the beginning, and I thought, open coding makes me study my works in
its broader aspects, as a result. I collected codes more than 200, it seemed
much greater than I had expected and also I finished making Axial coding,
which was started from complexity of causes of falling, and Functional clothing
to protect falls as below,
Category Sub-category Concept
External Causes
|
Object
|
Objects in daily use such as Walking Assist Device,
furniture, etc. can be causes of falling.
|
Objects in daily use such as Walking Assist Device,
furniture, etc. can be ways to prevent falling.
|
||
Outdoor Environment
|
A lot of obstacles that cause fall during travel exist
in outdoor environment.
|
|
Risk of falling increases with time. (Season, time)
|
||
Indoor Environment
|
A fall occurs frequently in familiar daily environment.
|
|
Internal Causes
|
Aging
|
Physical problems caused by physical deterioration due
to aging
(Sight, balance, walk, musculoskeletal function,
cardiovascular function)
|
Fear
|
Fear of falling hinders activity and mobility, which
then becomes a cause of falling.
|
|
Lack of cognition
|
Expert
|
Insensibility of falling from inexperienced experts
|
Problem of lack of convergence from inexperienced
experts
|
||
Fall Risk in the Elderly
|
Lack of knowledge versus the interest in prevention of
fall
|
|
Absence of cognition in various methods of fall injury
protection
|
Product Satisfaction
|
Functionality
|
Function of protecting a hip joint
|
Priority to the protection of a hip joint, which is the
part of the most vulnerable to death.
But disregard the possibility of fracture on other
parts
|
Limitation of existing protection
|
Necessity of protective pads’ function and prevention
|
||
Usability
|
Difficulty in washing due to unpliable pad desorption
|
Disregard user experience
|
|
Uncomfortable process of wearing
|
Disregard physical feature of the elderly
|
||
Wearability
|
Uncomfortable stock size
|
||
Social Satisfaction
|
Mobility
|
Indispensable outdoor activity
|
Discomforts of wearing hip fracture, during outdoor activity
|
Aesthetic
|
Protruding appearance
|
Willing to wear protective pads for safe outdoor
activity, but reluctant to be known to others due to its unique appearance
|
|
Self Satisfaction
|
Psychological
(Emotional)
|
Susceptibility of using ‘elderly’
|
Body ages, but still youthful mind
|
Resistant to word ‘disease’
|
|||
Desire of youth
|
|||
Practical
(Rational)
|
Choice in wearability rather than aesthetic factor.
|
Put wearability ahead of aesthetic factor due to
limitation of the product that considered physical features of the elderly
|
|
Consideration on economics raised by concern on price
|
Consumption for healthy life
|
||
Desire of living
|
I found out category
of causes of falling were divided 6 words such as external causes, internal
causes, lack of cognition, product satisfaction, social
satisfaction and self satisfaction. And then, functionality, usability,
wearbility, mobility, aesthetic, psychological and practical were gathered in sub-category.
I figured out key point from coding, which were first thing is priority to
the protection of a hip fracture, which was the part of the most vulnerable to
death, but that can be easy to ignore the possibility of fracture on other
parts of body from falls, so it is necessary to expand protecting area by
protective pads’ function and prevention for other part of body except hip
fracture. Second thing was existing clothing doesn’t user’s physical features
and their own experience such as discomforts of wearing hip fracture during
outdoor activity so I realized that they willing to wear functional clothing to
protect from falls (protective pads) for safe outdoor activity, but unwilling
to be known to others due to its unique appearance, such as a projecting pad.
Last thing was Body ages, but still youthful mind, stay young is basic human
need, but usually elderly people chose wearability first when they buy clothes,
ahead of aesthetic factor due to limitation of the product that considered
physical features of the elderly group, and when they spend money for fashion,
they tend to be fascinated by healthy life. And most importantly what I found out was complexity
of various causes of falling that varies by individuals instead of one simple
cause and damage of falling hinders activity and mobility, which then becomes a
cause of falling and self-satisfaction Falling Protection Clothes that are personalized
and can dissolve damage of falling.
It seems to well-organized work, but I wasn’t happy, I didn’t feel refreshed, I felt so empty, I was anxious
that it might be wrong, because I couldn’t feel
what I want to
communicate to
and
which
is
more
important
than
the
other, I real concerned about there was no content in my work. unfortunately, I
was afraid, if I didn’t get the point in research? those thoughts put me under
a lot of stress. All of the process wasn’t clear, but I didn’t want to remove
all of the my research work, of course, I couldn’t go back to the beginning of
the second semester, that’s physically impossible, but actually, that’s not
real reason, I honestly thought, I did my best during the research process, I
put a lot of effort into my work, I always cared about feasibility of my work,
so many time I asked myself questions such as why I have to do this project?
why I have to interview with this person? why I asked this question for them?
why I have to go this place? I didn’t do any thing roughly, everything what
I’ve done have a reason, even though I’m not satisfied with my work, even
though I’m confused about what's the right thing to do here. but I realized
that I don’t have enough time I won't waste more time beating myself up over
it, also, I thought, all I know is, whatever I do, it's not good enough, so I
decided to do Axial coding one more time, the different things than previous
open coding was focusing on real thing, do not do everything. Before, all of
the work, that meant a lot to me so I tried to manage to do all of the things,
of course, every process was meaningful and that have reasons and facts, but I
need to focus on specific area, narrow and deep. For example, no more
protecting hip fracture, why I can’t stray hip fracture, I need to remove a
boundary line, anyhow, if I would make clothing to protect hip fracture, and it
can be correct, but there is no one correct, but still I’m stuck in a hip
fracture, I need to get rid of hip fracture at this moment.
To sum up, as time goes by, as the research progressed, everything has
become more and more complex. After I finished re-coding, I don't know how
satisfying that would be, but I just want to be happy with my work, even
becoming a time consuming, I will a summary in a moment.
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기