Reflective journal in July
I have to finish my work within 1 month as re-coding and ideation and
making,
time passed really fast, anyway, as I wrote a reflective journal in June,
I reorganized axial coding as below.
Problem
|
||
Physically
|
Psychological
|
Functionality
|
-Normal
socks have high risk of sliding
-Correlation
between foot and falls
-Use
shoes that fit properly are protective
-Spiky
heels make short step length
-Short
step length can lead to falling
-Rubber
soles of shoes help prevent falls
-But
rubber soles has a fall risk on the linoleum floor
-Leather
soles of shoes have high risk of sliding
-Shoes
which have a thick soles lead to lose of balance
-Shoes
and slipper must definitely fit well
-Loose
fitting shoes make accident as falling over a obstacle
|
-Feel
bad when elderly perceived to be sick people
-Do
not want to be called silver generation
-Self-conscious
-Disagreeability
-Be
youthful
|
-Need
function to reduce the impact of falls
-Need
function to hold the body
-Need
function to continue to walk
-Functional
socks are good for elderly when they go to toilet
-Shoes
need function to prevent sliding on the floor
|
Cleanliness
|
Wearability
|
Economically
|
-Cotton can be sterilized
-Need to easily wash
|
-Cotton
is comfortable when it touches skin
-Uncomfortable
when sitting at the chair
-It
is bulky when sleeping in the bed
-Prefer
loose fitting pants than tight fitting pants
-When
elderly purchase clothing
Prefer
big size pants
-Prefer
rubber band
-Sweating
|
-Suppose
functional wear is expensive
-Welcome
paying more for healthcare
-Concerned
about high price
-Affordable
price
|
Finally, I found out 4 factors through Selective coding
as below
1.Daily routine should be considered
2.Particularities of body type need hiding and extra
space
3.Stay young is basic human need
4.Sense of relief is one of the ways of prevention
After that, I had to decide to core category which can
connect with those 4 factors.
In the beginning, ‘inevitable’ is regarded as a moderate
word, but it wasn’t enough for me, and then, some words were evaluated such as
‘Holistic care’, ‘Well balanced’, ‘Equilibrium’, ‘Being stable’, ‘Reasonably’.
From this process, l recognized that all the factors which surround our body in
any circumstance: environment, atmosphere, are ultimate reason and these
sources are need to be applied as a solution. Finally, ‘Being around’ is chosen
as a concept.
Open coding
|
Axial coding
|
Selective coding
|
Concept
|
-Normal
socks have high risk of sliding
-Correlation
between foot and falls
-Use
shoes that fit properly are protective
-Spiky
heels make short step length
-Short
step length can lead to falling
-Rubber
soles of shoes help prevent falls
-But
rubber soles has a fall risk on the linoleum floor
-Leather
soles of shoes have high risk of sliding
-Shoes
which have a thick soles lead to lose of balance
-Shoes
and slipper must definitely fit well
-Loose
fitting shoes make accident as falling over a obstacle
-Feel
bad when elderly perceived to be sick people
-Do
not want to be called silver generation
-Self-conscious
-Disagreeability
-Be
youthful
-Need
function to reduce the impact of falls
-Need
function to hold the body
-Need
function to continue to walk
-Functional
socks are good for elderly when they go to toilet
-Shoes
need function to prevent sliding on the floor
-Cotton can be sterilized
-Need
to easily wash
-Cotton
is comfortable when it touches skin
-Uncomfortable
when sitting at the chair
-It
is bulky when sleeping in the bed
-Prefer
loose fitting pants than tight fitting pants
-When
elderly purchase clothing
Prefer
big size pants
-Prefer
rubber band
-Sweating
-Suppose
functional wear is expensive
-Welcome
paying more for healthcare
-Concerned
about high price
-Affordable
price…
|
Physically
Psychological
Functionality
Cleanliness
Wearability
Economically
|
1.Daily
routine should be considered
2.Particularities
of body type need hiding and extra space
3.Stay
young is basic human need
4.Sense
of relief is one of the ways of prevention
|
‘Being
around’
|
I was satisfied with that some kind of unsolved feels
were erased. Before, over-passion made a trouble in Axial coding stage, it
didn’t let all the open coding data throw away. After that, I decided core
category, so I started trying to figure out design concept. There were two
considerations to make a fundamental of design concept; one is using the four
solutions that referred in this initial stage of process and the other is using
some solutions derived from some actual problems in Axial coding stage.
Using the four solutions that referred in this initial
stage of process seems to create a creative design, but there was a doubt that
final outcome can’t satisfy users need, and the other one will be easy to satisfy
user’s needs, but I concerned about that one may be hard to make a creative
design, because that axial coding process is from problems of functional
clothing to protect falls
The most considered things were to improve wearability
problems and psychological problem. While I formed an idea to solve this
problem, many detail ideas were figured out as new approach to wearing, easy
opening, cotton material, patch typed protection pad, skirts that good
ventilation with easy wearability, but I’m not sure that all ideas are good
enough to my before research value, also it doesn’t motivate me.
And than, I couldn’t accept it, so I try to invent
something more, no more get stress from ideation process. And I found out to
make a slipper that lighting a floor when wearing at night time. Because elderly
falls is occurred at night time when they going to toilet, so I want to focus
on that phenomenon and I hope to manage this case, but when I started that
ideation There was no expectation at this idea from the start, it couldn’t be
main project, it might be fun that make a lighting slipper while we can turn on
the room light by clapping in this age. Meanwhile, for elderly, they are isolated
from high-technology, may be really needs some low-technology products like a
lighting slipper which just put a coin battery. Anyway I thought it’s not enough to be a main
outcome and skip it.
So I restarted Ideation, before when I designed
something, I’d like to using basic figures, so in this time, I try to use basic
figures at design and also I have to concentrate core category as ‘being
around’ and to link with 4 solutions that derived from selective coding.
To sum up, I think back on all of the progress this works
from first time, although there were a few changes in this works by some
factors, it keeps its own frame work, but, outside of the work. Firstly, I’ve changed
bias to elderly, I got a ‘more comprehension’ someday, aging will come to me,
and I recognize that aging affects to elderly’s life much more than I expected.
I understand that elderly behavior such as only staring floor during walking,
or bumping to beside people during walking, all phenomenons are caused by their
decreased neurological ability, and muscular strength.
Secondary, during searching journals about elderly life, I
was surprised that not all the old people tend to feel lonely or depressed.
When I read that journal at first it was weird to me, but reviewing my before
interviews with elderly, people who concentrating to any interests, keeping
social life or watching interesting tv show looks enough happy and lively, one
the other hand, I thought recent developing speed of technology rush
technological gap between young and old people, consequently, it can lead to
make a new social disadvantaged group in digital age. even this paradigm
probably related elderly depression in near future.
Finally, during researching works, I was so shamed to
asking to taking a picture or throw a question. It was helpful to collect information
that Each interviewee has a distinct characteristic and their own belief.
Research
process was meaningful time to improve myself, and well progressed. Coding
stage was not simple in that I had to consider and evaluate various factors.
After all, last result that through core category is acceptable. Since I try to
all my best at each stage, this great experience made broader aspects in my life.
댓글 없음:
댓글 쓰기